FOOTBALL: It's a Game for All


Women's football is making a slow but steady progress in the country from the days when we used to hear "Keti jasto na khel hai" (Don't play like a girl) to this day, girls have proved football is not just a Man's game. The Indian Women's team just won the South Asian Games Gold medal by defeating Nepal 2-0. Both the goals were scored by Bala Devi who was on trails recently with Rangers FC.

I am not too aware about the history of women's football in India but for myself it all started as a kid in my village. That was for the very first time I had watched girls playing football and with no offence to anyone it was a boring affair. Girls running in a pack wherever the ball went and shooting wherever they felt like and some running aimlessly around the ground. For many years after that I was not in touch with women's football may be I watched a few games of the world cup thats it.

Next chance came when I was working with Zee Sports in 2009-10 I guess and we had to cover the women's senior nationals football tournament in Haldia. Odisha and Manipur had reached the finals and I was amazed by the intensity with which the girls played. They were tough, went for tackles and understood every aspect of the game. It won't be fair to compare a village level match with the final of a national tournament but my memory went back to that village match which I had watch and I said to myself. Wow the girls football has improved a lot.

This was also for the first time I saw the legend of women's football in India. Oinam Bembem Devi for the first time. She had a class of her own and always looked calm with the ball. Unfortunately I am not able to recall the exact score but Manipur had won the match.

Though I had developed a keen interest in Women's football in the following years but  rarely got a chance to watch as there were not many tournaments and the women's league was yet to start. I remember next instance when we had gone to Manipur with Zee Sports and had interviewed their women's team coach Mr Premcanta Singh. We had also met few other women footballers and interacted with them and also watched their training session.

Two years back I watched another girls football match near Siliguri at Phansidewa where I had seen some very good players. Without being baised I will have to say girls from this part of world also have that natural flair to play football they just need a bit of polishing.

At the international level I became fimiliar with names like Mia Hamm and Hope Solo and in the recent years Megan Rapinoe, Alex Morgan, Marta and so on. Its unfortunate I don't know too many players from Asia. Right now only two names are coming to my head ie Sun Wen from China and Homare Sawa from Japan. Another memory of women's football at the international level is that iconic celebration by Brandi Chastian after scoring the final penalty and handing the World Cup to United States in 1999. She had taken out her jersey and revealed her sports bar and I did hear nike sold a lot of those after that celebration!

Now in India also in the last few years Womens League has started and many good players are coming up. Bala Devi recently went on trails with Ranger FC though its unclear what was the result she has given a new hope to all the young girls in the country. Dalima Chibber another talented player is currently in Canada on a sports scholarship and attending a University there. Goalkeeper Aditi Chauhan has already played in England with West Ham United Ladies. The current bunch of players are also very good and if they are given the right exposure, they are sure to do even better.

Our very own lady from the hills Anju Tamang is also doing well and I am sure she will be an inspiration for many more young girls to take up football. Ideally it would be wonderful if every club in the country can form a women's team. May be there are limitations which we have to understand but many clubs are doing it which augurs well for women's football in the country.

Mr Palden Bhutia from Sikkim is doing a wonderful job of promoting women's football by running an Academy in West Sikkim. He has already produced quite a few international footballers most notable amongst them is Lako Phuti Bhutia and Anju Tamang. I am not being able to recall other names. There might be so many other unsung heroes who are doing their bit to promote women football across the country. They all are doing a fantastic job.

In March I had watched the Final of SAFF women's championship between India and Nepal which again the former had won 3-1. With Dalima Chibber, Dangmei Grace and Anju Tamang scoring for India. Dalima had scored that stunning free kick from about 30 yards! That was India's 5th SAFF title.

Lastly once again a hearty congratulations to the India Women's team for winning Gold in the South Asian Games they have stamped their authority in this region, now its time to dream about Asia and finally the World. All Yours Girls!

Photo: GoalNepal

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RONGO GOLD CUP

Hill Boys United- A Brief Story

Chandra Kumar Rai, A Modest Coach