Remembering Ladup Lama

Sometimes I remember him and whenever I come across people who knew him I start talking about him, but sadly I know very little about the man.
Just recently I had met a gentleman from Kurseong who said he was a former footballer and had played in United Kurseong FC longtime back when it was known by another name. I had immediately asked him about Ladup Lama (Daju). He took a deep breath and replied "Oh what a player he was." Yes indeed he was a wonderful defender always at ease with the ball in air or ground.
Crispin Chettri (Daju) played alongside Ladup Lama and he might have more fascinating stories to share about him. Once he had told me how simple Ladup was, no matter where they went to play he just carried his one set clothes and his football kits in a small bag and a boroplus to apply on his cuts and bruises. UKFC's defence was rock solid due to Ladup with due respect to others as well who were also very talented players.
I had first seen United Kurseong's match in my village (Rongo) way back in the early 90s. They had won the tournament and many years later Dinker Chettri one of their senior player had told me how crucial it was for them to win that tournament as the club was about to close down due to financial crisis.
I don't exactly remember Ladup daju during that tournament but few years later in Gangtok during the Independence Cup I vividly remember his impressive performance. Its always hard to impress people playing as a defender but Ladup had done that. Jumping just over the opposing forward and heading the ball to safety, timely tackles, awareness and positioning had impressed me so much I had gone to meet him at his hotel but if I remember correctly I had come across him at Ranka Stand and nervously shook hands with him. I wanted to tell him what a wonderful player he was but could not express it but I am sure he knew exactly what I wanted to say as I had that excitement on my face. A real fan boy moment for me.
Ladup daju is no more in this world and its sad that such a talented person who could have contributed to the game even after retiring left this world so early. If heroes are measured just by name and fame. Ladup daju might not make it to the list. But I feel real heroes are sometimes people like him who just come to this world and focus so much in their chosen field that even if they don't become famous and earn big money they somehow find people like me who admire them from their hearts and no matter what Ladup Lamas become our heroes. Ladup was from that breed of footballers who liked to keep it low profile. After a hard fought match all he needed was a simple tap on his back and the words "You played well brother."
(More needs to be written about this hero from Kurseong)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RONGO GOLD CUP

Hill Boys United- A Brief Story

Chandra Kumar Rai, A Modest Coach